Thursday 19 July 2007

The pathway to leadership

Recently I was one of three speakers at a fantastic reception held at Lehman Brothers on Canary Wharf. It was a fabulous evening with over 80 women working in IT attending to find out more about their ‘Pathway to Leadership’.

The reason I share this here is that I used my Kenya cycle ride as a metaphor for creating a future that we are passionate and excited about, and committed to. That future for me is one of being able to complete the ride and raise £8000 for children I will never meet, but who will be impacted by me getting on my bike. I am being pulled rather than being pushed towards this future: it is one of the things that gets me out of bed in the morning! I love that expression – having the future pull you towards it.

I’ve have since been asked to speak at the next event in November, and they even moved the date so I could be there (otherwise I was still going to be in Africa). Can you imagine how big a pull that has on me? I now have over 80 people who want to hear how it all went – another incentive to get out of bed and get training!

There is so much happening at the moment that it seems difficult to find the time to even write this but I am so excited about what is happening around me. Friends and contributors are making such a difference to Julian and me.

Also Steph and Graham, friends here in the Midlands who rode Land Ends to John O’ Groats, two years ago, have come up with a great cycle ride – moderately difficult - for the four of us to ride together this weekend. How great is that, just when I was thinking we needed to push up a level in our training, wonderful people have shown up and are working to get us out of our comfort zone!

Just quickly here to end, thank you to all of you have gone to www.justgiving/moiraandjulian.com and donated to the cause. Julian and I are moved by your contribution to us and to the children. Thank you.

No comments: